Fred在一家电子公司上班,和他的课长一起负责公司最大客户,有天两人意见分歧,课长说了一句:"I think I'm right, but if I'm wrong. I'll eat humble pie."Fred听了心想,为什么这时候跟“吃派”要扯上边?还是吃“谦虚派”?
原来Eat humble pie跟吃派都没关系,重点在humble,意思是指谦虚地承认错误,也有种不得不坦诚错误的意味,以下来看看怎么用英文认错、道歉。
Eat humble pie坦诚错误
The mayor had to eat humble pie and apologize for misleading many voters.(市长误导了许多选民,所以他必须低头认错。)
I think I'm right, but if I'm wrong. I'll eat humble pie.(我认为我是正确的,如果我错了,我会虚心认错。)
I'm sorry but/I'm sorry that/I'm sorry for诚挚道歉
I'm sorry but I won't be able to attend the conference.(很抱歉但我没办法参与会议。)
I'm sorry that I didn't meet my obligations and complete my work on time.(我很抱歉我没有准时完成工作,履行我的义务。)
I'm sorry for replying so late.(很抱歉这么晚才回覆。)
Make it up to you适度补偿与赔罪
If there's anything I can do to make it up to you, just ask.(如果有什么地方我可以补偿你,尽管说。)
She'd neglected her children and wanted to make it up to them by spending more time with them.(她忽略了她的小孩,所以希望可以多花一点时间来补偿他们。)
Ensure that/Promise that确保
The school will ensure that the election is carried out fairly.(学校会确保选举执行公正。)
I promise that I'll meet my deadlines.(我保证我会赶在截止日完成。)